Monday 1 November 2010

Parcel to Australia and Exhibition

Before posting to the Aus

After receiving it back


in creating a piece of work that I did not create myself. Therefore art that creates itself- all I had to do was provide the tools for it to happen. Here I made a small box lined with white paper and inserted a collection of coloured wax crayons. I then posted the parcel to a relative in Australia with instructions not to open the box and return it to me.
The result was the box being moved around and the crayons bashing against the inside walls. The marking on the walls of the wax record the journey, leaving a stipple effect; Art that creates itself.

Exhibition- One Thing Leads to Another

Earlier this year, I was asked as part of my Fine Art degree, to plan, set up, promote and exhibit work created by 18 fellow students as part of a collaborative task. We called the event 'One Thing Leads to Another'. The notion behind the event was to create art in response to the given environment. Artists were to take turns, alone in the space, to add to the work created prior to your entry, like that of a chain reaction exploring materials and change.



The whole event from the first to the last artist was documented via a stop motion camera. The film showed how the final outcome was completely incoherent. It also showed the final artist taking the decision to white wash the space, bringing it back to its original state. The film was then shown as the art work, projected on a wall within the space. There was a mixed response, from both the artists who participated and of those who came to the viewing. Some artists felt offended that their work had been erased. Most however, felt it was the right decision. In our eyes, it was the only way of bringing the work back to a simple, strong image that any of us would want to be associated with.





Here are the photos of what my piece of the exhibition looked like. I had been working with cardboard in the studio at the time so wanted to incorporate that within my work, but the rest had to be inspired by the space. Armed with my cardboard, scissors and glue gun, I found the space very angular, the room itself, the windows and the doors, therefore I created circles.
None of it was planed and I just cut cut cut, all of it was spur of the moment. And this is what I ended up creating.
The next two photos are of what the the exhibition ended up being, with a screen shot of me in the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment